I believe it’s an important thing every website owner should do. I will talk more about it but first..
Website downtime is always painful for us and especially for us as a Blogger, we lose revenue everytime our site goes down. Needless to mention, it’s also bad for search engine optimization. There are many possible reasons for site downtime and one of the most prominent is using underpowered Web servers.
It doesn’t matter for what reason your website is down, we need to ensure that our website stays up. The first & foremost thing is to get notified when website goes down.
How would you know if your site is down at middle of the night? May be it was 2 hour downtime & you would never know about it because their is no mechanism for you to monitor this.
Point is – in today’s internet economy where websites are directly linked to revenues; & you can’t afford to ignore the website’s downtime. Now, we have talked enough about the problem, let’s talk about the solutions. Yes! There are solutions which you can use to monitor your website uptime and get
Yes! There are website uptime monitoring services which notifies us via various means when our site goes down. Some of them are free & for premium services like SMS or call notifications, you need to pay a small amount.
So, let’s directly see all these services which notifies us when our site goes down.
Monitor Website Uptime Services:
Jetpack website monitor:
This is a great free solution for all WordPress site owner. You can install a free plugin call Jetpack & activate it’s module call monitor. It notifies you via email when site goes down. The only downside of email notification is, you won’t be checking your email every second. Though as a free solution
Though as a free solution this is pretty good. At least you would be updated with your website status. And, if your site is facing frequent downtime, you would know it’s time to optimize your site or change your hosting. Here is a video guide on configuring Jetpack WordPress plugin.
ManageWP Website Uptime Monitor:
27% of the websites in the world are powered by WordPress platform. Here at ShoutMeLoud, 1 out of 3 have a WordPress site/blog. If you are one of those 3, ManageWP service is for you. This service is free to use (Have premium add-ons if you like) & it sends you real time notification when your website goes down & when it backsup.
The configuration is pretty easy & all you need to do is add your site at ManageWP dashboard. After that, you will get notification in terms of downtime & uptime event.
UPTimemonitor is most popular website monitoring service in 2016. The interface is pretty easy to use & one can start with a free plan which let you monitor up to 50 sites. You can get notified via email & many more options including Slack, Hipchat, Pushbullet & many more.
In the above screenshot you can see how their dashboard looks like.The above screenshot is for ShoutMeLoud monitoring & you can set up various other monitoring such as Ping, Port & Keyword monitoring. Though as a website owner, I usually setup HTTP monitoring. For those who need SMS notification for web server downtime, you can get their pro plan which is only $4.5/month.
With simple yet professional way of working, UpTime Robot which came into existence in January 2012 has created an impact in the website monitoring market. One of the best feature of Uptime robot is, you can also set up Webserver monitoring for password protected site. Here are some features listed to make you understand it better.
- UPTime Robot is easy and efficient to use.
- All the basic information is listed on the homepage and without any fancy decors; website is clean and easy to navigate.
- It can monitor 50 websites at a time.
- It checks the downtime every 5 minutes and hence within 5 minutes or less, users will be notified in case of any downtime. It uses several check methods like, it asks for website headers and status codes (200 (OK), 404 (Not Found) etc.) and logs the data into files for further analysis.
- Once the site is up it again logs the information including duration of downtime.
- It monitors: HTTP (port 80), Keyword checking (if certain keywords reside in the documents of your website), Ping (the service will ping your web address and if your web address fails to respond you will be notified) and TCP ports (for example 3306 to determine if MySQL is down).
- Users are notified by instant SMS, RSS, Twitter and email alerts or push notifications for iPad and iPhone, when a site goes offline.
- The registration process is very simple. It asks users to provide name, email and password. Then after verification through Email you are ready to go.
- Twitter message notification option has also been added.
- Uptime Robot has been specialized for website monitoring and hence it is more efficient and dedicated for website uptime than other general website monitoring services.
- Potential area of improvement – It covers only three geographic locations (within US) from where it checks the uptime of the monitors.
Create your free account on UpTime Robot here.
Back in 2006 Monitis was developed as world’s first all-in-one suite of IT monitoring tools, based in the Cloud. And till date it is one of the best website monitoring (here website uptime monitoring) tool. It is an amazing service if I talk about technology, innovation, and usability. Let me jolt down some of its salient features for you to realize the truth in what I have just mentioned.
- Of course it is absolutely FREE and still provides best quality for users. It is supported by adverts.
- Online help for navigation and basic usability of the site is provided, which helps you fantastically if you are visiting the site for the first time. Once you are familiar with the design, it becomes a wonderful site to use and that too for free.
- For registration, simply fill up the signup form by clicking signup link on the right top of the site, you will be automatically taken to a small section explaining the setup and usability of the account.
- It can monitor travel websites, e-commerce sites, forums, blogs, personal sites, press releases and portals hence suitable for individuals or small and large businesses.
- It provides end to end monitoring service where users will also able to monitor how the server is behaving under high load and how that is reflected in your uptime stats.
- It supports several external monitors: HTTP, HTTPS, FTP, SMTP, POP3, IMAP, DNS, SSH, PING, MySQL, TCP, UDP, SIP and 404 Not found errors and internal monitors like CPU, RAM, HDD, processes, Server load etc.
- Whenever there is downtime, alerts are provided via E-mail, IM, SMS, Twitter, live voice.
- Monitor.us is cloud based and it is more apt to say that Monitor.us is the world’s only all-in-one Cloud-based-Application-Performance-Monitoring-as-a-Service based in the Cloud.
- It can be used by developers to create add-ons and use with this service.
For details visit here.
Well! You must be thinking why I haven’t included several other popular services like PingDom, Apex Ping, Site24X7, Code Guard, downforeveryoneorjustme (which is also good if you are simply looking to know if a website is up or down) etc. then I would say, these are only my suggestions and I was thinking about only two things “Free” and “website uptime”.
You may sign up for all or just sign up for 1-2 Web services mentioned above to monitor Website uptime. If you are using WordPress, you can also use Managewp which offer functionalty to get notification for Website downtime, which is very useful too.